|Graduation||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)|
|Study duration||7 semesters|
|Number of places available||winter semester: 15|
|Particularities||Foundation Course in English,|
German language courses are included,
Advanced Studies in German
|Application deadline ||for the winter semester|
15 May, EU-applicants: 15 July
| Admission requirements |
for international applicants
for German applicants
Allgemeine oder fachgebundene Hochschulreife, Fachhochschulreife oder Nachweis einer
Automation Technology (UBE)
At a glance
Professor Simon Effler
Coordinator - John Clear
Questions on applying or studying
Department E Secretary
Silke Förstermann (Secretary)
Why study automation technology?
In everyday life automation technology is everywhere. Even if it is not so obvious, cars, washing machines or cash dispensers cannot function without automation technology.
Our students can expect a multifaceted study programme which combines electrical engineering, measurement technology, sensors and programming. Right from the beginning the classes are practice-oriented and marked by close contact with local industries.
Automation technology is indispensable. Through the implementation of innovative automation concepts, Industry 4.0, many new jobs have been created in the area of interaction between man and machines. Our graduates can enjoy a secure, fascinating and dynamic future.
Career fields and opportunities
Industry 4.0 is a term given to the current fourth industrial revolution. Modern flexible networked industrial systems are developed which can cater for any customer’s wishes. Automation engineers will play a key role in these developments and thus will be in great demand in the future.
Our graduates, whether Bachelor or Master, have excellent career prospects in development, planning, production and sales in a great number of fields:
- The chemicals, pharmaceuticals or foodstuffs industries
- The automobile industry
- Mechanical engineering
- Buildings and systems technologies
- The serve sector (measurement apparatus, cash dispensers, household appliances etc)
Benefits for international students
As the programme starts in English, many international applicants who do not have good German skills can start their engineering studies on this programme.
German training is a vital component of the curriculum, not just during but also between the semesters in the form of three-week intensive courses. A three-week intensive language and culture programme directly before the start of the first semester provides a valuable start to learning German and helps new international students settle in. Students study towards passing the DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber)
Benefits for German students
English competence is a much sought after skill in the engineering sector, and German students can gain vital experience by studying in English for their first year. German native speakers need to choose a technical English and another non-engineering elective.
Course structure Automation Technology
|1st + 2nd semesters||Fundamentals |
Maths, Physics, Computing, Electrical Engineering, Language
German (for international students) or
English (for German students)
|3rd + 4th|
Measurement and Controls, Electrical Engineering, Electric Machines and Drives, Programmable Controls
| 5th semester ||Internship |
|6th + 7th semester||Specialization in Automation Technology|
Motion Control, Microcomputers, ControlEngineering, Building Systems
All individual subjects can be found in Rule Curriculum
Studying at Hochschule Mannheim
- The programme is characterized by high practical relevance and offers an insight into research and development.
- The University’s extensive experience of training engineers is highly respected in industry, offering graduates numerous and lucrative job opportunities.
- Small class sizes mean close collaboration between fellow students, professors and other staff.
- gain relevant practical experience through laboratory classes, study projects and industrial internships
- establish useful links with successful companies through their internship, sometimes resulting in job offers following graduation
- quickly find a job in industry thanks to the professional relevance of their studies