At Hochschule Mannheim the academic year consists of two semesters with 15 weeks of teaching each:
- Winter semester (first semester): September to February. The lectures begin in the last week of September and end in January, with two additional weeks of exams. The International winter semester (Department of Mechanical Engineering) runs from September until December.
- Summer semester: March to August. Classes usually begin in the second week of March and run to the end of June. The exams take place in July.
- Block courses and other activities are offered between semesters.
International students may be expected to attend short intensive German language courses. For more details, please consult the German coordinator
- A detailed list of important dates in the current and coming semester can be downloaded on this website (German).
The academic year includes longer breaks in winter (Christmas) and in spring (either Easter or Pentecost) as well as different public holidays (see below).
During the semester, different academic events are scheduled. Please consult the events calendar on our German site.
Winter semester 2023/2024
|Application deadline exchange students||May 31, 2023|
|Application deadline degree-seeking: courses with restricted admission||July 15, 2023|
|Application deadline degree-seeking: unrestricted admission courses||September 22, 2023|
|Enrollment begins||August 1, 2023|
September 18 to September 22, 2023,
Welcome Breakfast on Friday, September 22
|Introductory events for freshmen||September 25, 2023|
|Lecture period||September 26, 2023 to January 19, 2024|
|Registration period for exams||Nov. 27, 2023 to Jan. 07, 2024|
|Winter holidays||Dec 21, 2023 to Jan 05, 2024|
|Re-registration period||Jan 01, 2024 to Jan 31, 2024|
|Exam period||Jan 22, 2024 to Feb 09, 2024|
Summer semester 2024
|Application deadline exchange students||November 15, 2023|
|Welcome Breakfast||March 15, 2024|
|Lecture period||March 18, 2024 to July 5, 2024|
|Pentecost holidays||May 20, 2024 - May 26, 2024|
- New Year's Day (1 January)
- Epiphany (6 January)
- May Day/Labor Day (1 May)
- Whit Monday
- Corpus Christi
- National Day (3 October)
- All Saints Day (1 November)
- Christmas (25/26 December)
Studying in a different country involves more than just academic performance. You have to cope with a foreign language and culture and deal with unfamiliar social codes of conduct in everyday life. You will be exposed to different manners when interacting with lecturers and fellow students, as well as with authorities regarding all official issues and study regulations. Financial matters will also have to be taken in consideration. All these challenges must be taken seriously.
We are eager to offer all the help and support that you may need.
In Germany, the national emergency phone number is 110.
Dial 112 if you need urgent medical attention but are not able to get to the hospital casualty department/emergency room on your own.
The Career Center offers coaching and support for various topics, from exam anxiety and time management to job application trainings.
Our International Office is your main point of contact. They offer:
- comprehensive advice in the Welcome Guide and during the Welcome Days,
- your accommodation contract (if you are staying in a hall of residence),
- assistance with signing up for your health insurance,
- the opportunity to apply for scholarships.
The Sprachenzentrum is your contact for German language courses before and during the semester.
Student Service Center
The Student Service Center will administer your (re-)enrollment and exam registration.