|Degree||Master of Arts [M.A.]|
|Length of course||3 semesters|
|Start of course||Summer semester|
|No. of places available|
|Admission requirements||A bachelor’s degree in the area of design with 210 credits, a representative portfolio and language skills. Students whose mother tongue is not English, must prove they have gained an IELTS pass (6.5 overall with not less than 6.0 in all components).|
|Application deadline||15 November 2016|
Communication Design (M.A.)
At a glance
International Joint Master Degree
Hochschule Mannheim, Department of Design and University of Leeds, School of Design are launching the international master’s degree programme MA Design Future Society in summer semester 2017.
Students will develop future-orientated design solutions with social relevance in international teams. They will design cross-media campaigns, and work and research with people from various disciplines. To this end, students transfer to the University of Leeds in the second semester (without tuition fees) and can obtain a joint degree certificate as [MA] Master of Arts of University of Leeds and Hochschule Mannheim.
Structure of master's degree
Theoretical semester (First semester)
Students at Hochschule Mannheim study in Mannheim. Lectures during this semester are held in German, except Research Methodology.
During this semester students organise their accommodation in Leeds and financial support through our ERASMUS+ programme. We recommend applying for international governmental financial aid and scholarships.
Practical semester (Second semester)
During the second semester German students transfer to Leeds and work on a project of practical relevance.
Master's thesis (Third semester )
Autonomous work on individual topics is completed during the master's thesis and its subsequent publication. The thesis must be written in English. The academic degree of Master of Arts is awarded at the end of the three-semester degree programme and enables students to pursue a doctoral degree.
How to apply
- Applicants need a bachelor's degree in design with 210 credits, and must prove this with the relevant certificate.
- An appropriate portfolio with three to five pieces of work from your degree course and/or professional work, and your initial university degree and a letter of motivation.
- A curriculum vitae with a complete overview of your education to-date with letters of reference from employment since you finished your initial university degree, and proof of an apprenticeship, if relevant.
- Language skills: Applicants from countries where the lingua franca is not English must prove they have gained an IELTS pass [6.5 overall with not less than 6.0 in all components]. Applicants from countries where the lingua franca is not German must also prove they have passed the DSH2 examination when they apply to Hochschule Mannheim.
- A stamped (EUR 1.45), self-addressed DIN A4 envelope, three stamps of EUR 0.55 each. A stamped (EUR 0.45), self-addressed postcard for confirming your application has been received.
- A completed application form that you can obtain here.