Admission requirements

Please visit also:

How to apply

Admission Requirements - International Programmes

In Germany, access to studies as a degree-seeking student is strictly regulated by law. Here are the current regulations in brief:

  • To qualify for a bachelor’s degree programme, every applicant needs a higher education entrance qualification (Abitur or equivalent). This school-leaving certification must have been completed in specific subjects that correspond to the intended university degree programme. In some cases, we require university experience for admission to bachelor's degree programmes.
  • For master's degree programmes, previous studies must qualify you for the focal area chosen.
  • Foreign certificates need to be certified by an appropriate agency.
  • For international programmes, specific requirements apply.

In all cases, you will need to provide proof of sufficient language proficiency in the tuition language(s) for your chosen course. An important part of your application will therefore be the proof of German language proficiency.

Important: Some of our degree programmes have admission restrictions known as NC (which means restricted number), e.g. a certain average grade is required for admission.

Go to the DAAD site for further information.

Degree programmes

Go to the degree programme you intend to follow and read all the information carefully:

Bachelor's degree programmes

Master's degree programmes

International programmes

Proof of German language

If you do not have a German school-leaving certificate (nor a Sprachdiplom II from a Deutsche Schule abroad), you will need official proof of advanced German language proficiency for admission to most degree programmes.

These language requirements might differ for international degree programmes.

APS certificate

Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia need to submit a certificate from the Akademische Prüfstelle (APS) at the German embassies in Peking, Hanoi or Ulan Bator (original document only). 
The embassies have a special department that examines certificates for their authenticity. If the certificates prove to be genuine, the visa processing time may be reduced.

German Embassy Beijing, APS

Landmark Tower 2, Bureau 0311
8 North Dongsanhuan Road
Chaoyang District
100004 Beijing
VR China
+86-10-6590 7138


Deutsche Botschaft Beijing, APS

German Embassy in Hanoi, APS
29 Tran Phu, Q. Ba Dinh
+84-4 3845 3836/7 und
+84-4 3843 0245/6


Deutsche Botschaft in Hanoi, APS


In Ho-Chi-Minh-City, you can also contact the
DAAD Information Center (IC)

18 Duong So 1 Cu xa Do Thanh, P. 4, Q. 3


+84 8 3832 9099


German Embassy in Ulan Bator, APS
Baga Toiruu-2
Negdsen Undestnii Gudamj 16
Ulan Bator 14201
+976 99225839


Deutsche Botschaft in Ulan Bator, APS

Which school?

The application process for admission to an undergraduate degree programme is determined by your prior education:

German school-leaving certificates

If you have obtained your higher education entrance qualification (HZB) after finishing your secondary education in Germany, you are a Bildungsinländer (you completed your education in Germany) and can apply regardless of your nationality.

Deutsche Schulen (German schools) abroad

Deutsche Schulen outside of Germany that are accredited by the Kultusministerkonferenz and have the full rights to award the German Abitur issue valid higher education entrance qualifications for studying in Germany.

Since the language certificate Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz der Stufe II is equivalent to DSH, no further proof of language is required.

The application can be sent directly to Mannheim University of Applied Sciences.

German citizens with an international school-leaving certificate

If you are a German national but have attended a secondary school abroad, you must first apply for recognition of your higher education entrance qualification. Please contact the Regional Council (Regierungspräsidium) in Stuttgart.

School degrees from non-German-speaking countries

As an applicant — to Mannheim University of Applied Sciences or any University of Applied Sciences in the state of Baden-Württemberg — with a higher education entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking country, you will need to first contact Studienkolleg Konstanz (Center for International Students) to have your international records validated. If approved, it will issue you a higher education entrance qualification certificate.

If your higher education entrance qualification certificate does not qualify you for direct access to studing at a German university, you will have to pass a test (Feststellungsprüfung) in four areas of knowledge. You can prepare for this test in one of the so-called Studienkolleg centers.

The Studienkolleg Konstanz also checks whether your command of German is sufficient to attend a course with German as the tuition language.

Once you have gained the higher education entrance qualification from the Studienkolleg Konstanz as well as proof of your German language proficiency (DSH or equivalent), you can apply for the degree programme of your choice.